2020 has been a hell of a year. Covid, and the worst wildfires in recent American history converging in a battleground election year. To throw insult on injury, you’re getting adult acne, just in time for all those close up Zoom calls.
What’s maskne? It’s acne and irritation caused by frequent or prolonged mask usage, particular when it’s hot or humid outside. Doctors and nurses have had to deal with maskne for a long time, but now maskne is a household term for the rest of us too.
Luckily, there are ways to prevent maskne, and products to treat maskne once it occurs. Here are our top 5 ways to prevent maskne.
1. Wash your face 2x a daily, and after sweating. Do not use bar soap or body wash, because these can over strip the skin, and leave skin too dry. Skin that’s too dry will go into oil production overdrive, causing more acne to develop.
Also resist the temptation to use a harsh exfoliating scrub, because that will irritate skin and make the maskne worse.
Instead, use a gentle but effective cleanser, like Shake And Wake, which uses fruit enzymes to deep clean pores without damaging skin’s barrier.
2. Moisturize after washing face. A light moisturizer protects skin’s barrier, and rebalances the skin’s oils, preventing skin from going into extra oil production mode.
Look for moisturizers that are fragrance free, as fragrances can be irritating to those with sensitive skin. Avoid products called “cream” because those tend to be heavier, and more likely to clog pores while wearing a mask.
Try Relax And Repair, our lightweight, fragrance free moisturizer that’s packed with Niacinamide (the wrinkle and acne fighting form of Vitamin B3).
3. Go easy on the makeup. Wear a tinted moisturizer or concealer? Hey, we don’t judge. But when you have a mask on, it’s best to skip the heavy concealer, because that also clogs pores. Plus it will make your mask dirty.
4. Wash your reusable mask. The longer you wear a mask each day, the more often you need to wash it. This is especially true if you’re sweating, wearing it after eating, or doing a lot of talking while wearing a mask. All the bacteria swirling in a humid environment can cause maskne.
5. Don’t reuse your surgical mask. Even if you’re tempted to grab that clean looking mask off the passenger seat for the 5th time, just remember that it’s probably going to give you maskne. Go with the underwear rule. Don’t wear the same mask more times than you would wear the same underwear.